Summer is in full swing which means plenty of families will be off on vacation. While you’re out having fun, it’s important to remember proper oral hygiene practices. Since most people don’t travel with a San Antonio orthodontist in their back pocket (we can dream), our team at Braces By Blalock has put together a list of helpful supplies everyone with braces should take with them while away from home. They include, but aren’t limited to:
- Travel toothbrushes
- Floss with threaders, floss picks, or similar equipment
- Mouth wash or a bottle of water to rinse with
- Orthodontic wax to help with pocking braces
- A small mirror for self-examination
It’s easy to remember to bring these items if you set them aside in a convenient dental hygiene travel pack. There are even pre-made braces kits you can buy. If you need help finding them, just ask us and we can point you in the right direction.
If you have any problems reaching us while out of town, it’s a good idea to look online for local orthodontic practices in the area. Most orthodontists will be available to help if you’re in discomfort, so don’t be afraid to ask.
It’s also a good idea to remember which foods you shouldn’t eat with braces. It’s a bummer to have to limit what you can do while on vacation, but preventing damage to your orthodontic equipment is worth passing up some unique food.
A short list of what to avoid includes:
- Firm, whole fruits (make sure to cut fruit into wedges before you eat it)
- Corn on the cob
- Any kind of nut, including peanuts
- Sticky, gummy, or chewy foods
- Hard candies, cookies, or pretzels
- Bagels or other hard bread substances
If you’re wearing a clear liner and end up losing your tray, just use the previous or next tray as a substitute. Remember to contact as once you get home, too.
With these tips, you should be able to have a fun, relaxing vacation without needing to worry over dental mishaps. Remember to contact your us if you have any questions or concerns. Have a fun summer!