Your San Antonio and Helotes orthodontist can help you with more than just tooth straightening.
National Orthodontic Health Month begins in October, which brings beautiful fall colors, Halloween, and National Orthodontic Health Month! The purpose of this national prize is to raise awareness about the benefits of orthodontic treatment. Check out our quick orthodontic facts below if you’re not sure what that means or how it pertains to you.
What does the term “orthodontics” mean?
According to the American Association of Orthodontists, orthodontics is a dental specialty focused on the diagnosis, supervision, guidance, and correction of malocclusions (the imperfect position of the teeth when the jaw is closed).
Statistics on orthodontics:
- Braces are worn by 4.5 million persons in the United States, about a quarter of whom are adults.
- Adult braces are becoming more popular, despite the fact that youngsters between the ages of 10 and 14 are the ideal candidates for braces.
- After straight teeth, overbite correction is the second most common reason for braces.
What are some benefits of orthodontic therapy?
The primary goal of our orthodontic team is to help patients achieve their perfect smile. Optimal tooth alignment improves daily functions like speaking and biting, as well as preventing cavities, in addition to giving you a nice smile. The team at Blalock Orthodontics can assist with issues such as:
- Crossbite is a bit of a mouthful.
- Crooked teeth, among other things
What happens if I don’t get my braces fixed?
Untreated orthodontic issues can cause oral health issues and damage the function of your teeth. You could experience any or all of the following:
- Tooth decay
- Gum disease (condition in which the gums become inflamed)
- Chewing difficulties
- Headaches and/or earaches.
- Trouble with the jaw
Are braces my only option for orthodontic treatment?
No! In recent years, orthodontic therapy has progressed significantly. With breakthroughs in technology and treatment options, orthodontics is now easier than ever before.
Do you want to do something special to honor National Orthodontic Health Month? It only takes a few minutes to set up a free consultation with us.